General Information about the Hygiene Proficiency Test
Hygiene Proficiency Test includes 40 true/false statements. To complete the test successfully, participants must score at least 34/40. The statements involve various sections of food hygiene. The person being tested marks an X in a box either for "true" or "false", depending on whether the person’s opinion agrees with that of the statement or not. There are both positive statements (of the type "one thing affects something") and negative statements of the type "one thing does not affect something”).
Time allocated for answering is 45 minutes for normal test (Finnish & Swedish) and there is no time limit for special situation tests (eg. English, other translated languages.) One may leave the testing premises 20 minutes after the test started, as soon as the Examiner gives a permission to leave.
When answering the Hygiene Proficiency Test, a blue ballpoint pen is used to make the test sheets archival quality. Name and date of birth has to be written clearly with capital letters because they are written to the official Hygiene Passport in this same form.
Answering the test has to be done independently. Using any kind of assistance, studying material, notes, dictionaries or talking to another testee is not allowed during the Hygiene Proficiency Test. Please remember to ask all possible questions from the instructor before the test starts. Not following the instructions is a reason for the instructor to interrupt the test of the participant and remove the participant from the test.
Information in different languages about Hygiene Passport and Hygiene Proficiency Test
Please read additional information in different languages about Hygiene Passport and Hygiene Proficiency Test by clicking suitable language below.
- Arabic / العربية
- Chinese / 汉语
- Russian / pусский
- Estonian / eesti
- Polish / Polski
- Swedish / Svenska
- Somali / الصومالية
- Thai / ภาษาไทย
- Turkish / Türkçe
- Vietnamese / Tiếng Việt
Get Ready for your Hygiene Proficiency Test
Hygienepassport.fi highly recommends careful preparation for the Hygiene Proficiency Test. Before the test, it's good to go through all the food hygiene subfields (listed under), vocabulary and terms. Written material can be ordered in several languages from Hygienepassport.fi online store. Material can be ordered in Finnish, Swedish, English, Arabic, Thai, Spanish, Chinese, Turkish, Russian and Estonian languages.
Please see also other material and links through Hygienepassport.fi Material page.
Food hygiene expertise mainly consists of the following seven subfields:
- Food Poisonings
- Hygienic Work Practices
- Personal Hygiene
- Own-check Practices at Food Premises
- Finnish Food Legislation and Authorities
Before the Hygiene Proficiency Test
Please arrive to the test place at least 15 minutes before the test so the instructor has time to check your registration and ID and give the test instructions. If you are late, it's possible to attend the test when the test has been running under 20 minutes.
Please take an official valid ID with you to the test. If you have chosen a student discount, please show your student card to the instructor before the test.
Approved Forms of Identification
You are required to identify yourself when taking a hygiene proficiency test. Approved ways include:
- An identification with a picture approved by an official (police) including an official identification card, passport and driver's licence (a moped licence is also acceptable)
- A Finnish KELA card with a picture
- An alien's passport and a refugee travel document
- A stamped document, given by the police or Finnish Border Guard, which proves your passport is in the possession of an official. The document must include a copy of the passport.
- Accepted by immigration office refugee, asylum seeker or other immigrant residence permit and resident card
Examples of Forms of Identification that are not Approved
- An expired driver's licence, passport or identification card
- A Finnish reservist card, also known as a "soldier's passport"
- A customer card for a reception centre
- Copies of a passport, identification card or other such documents
- Forms of identification that are missing your entire name, entire social security number or which have a picture that is easy to change
After the Hygiene Proficiency Test
After the Hygiene Proficiency Test, the instructor will first order your Hygiene Passport from Evira. The instructor will receive the Hygiene Passport, sign the certificate and post it to you within 2–4 weeks. You can request a temporary certificate from the instructor to be sent to your email.
If there comes a situation that you don't pass the test, you can register for a renewal test by using the same Hygienepassport.fi-account you have used for signing in before. The renewal test is cheaper than the first Hygiene Proficiency Test. Please see the prices and the upcoming tests through the test registration page.